A new Top 100 Alternative Search Engines list!

Discuss about top search engine gogole its optimization techniques including the infamous Google Dance, Google News, Google Page Rank, Google Toolbar. Get a top ranking in Google and see your site traffic soar. Discussion related to the Google search engine only please.

Moderator: John55

A new Top 100 Alternative Search Engines list!

Postby rajiv123 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:07 am

By Guest Author M.E. Simpson
This post will also appear here.

“Everyone should print, bookmark, digg or tweet this excellent resource.” -editor

While conducting the research and search engine checking I did while compiling this very eclectic list of search engines, directories, tools and stuff related, I realized that there are some very competitive trends in a few directions. The most prominent of those seems to be the effort to create the most artificially intelligent NLP, or Natural Language Process, that can be utilized in a search engine. More and more search engines are looking for ways to create search engines that “understand,” context, synonyms, meanings, inverted phrases, and more…and well, most of them have been pretty successful at it.

Another trend I noticed is the emphasis on search results produced in “real-time,” and I am still not sure I grasp that concept…I mean, aren’t all results delivered in real time? What other kind of time is there? Is there like, unreal time? When a search result pops up after I’ve input a search term, that time sure feels real to me….even more real at 3a.m, after working on an article for the past 9 hours, when my butt has turned numb, and my neck feels like it’s in a vice. But yes, there is a newer method of finding fresher, more immediately published material on a continually updated basis, that search engines are now capable of retrieving. This is especially true with news, blog, and social search engines, all which serve a more immediate need for currency, trends, and “what’s hot.”

That being said, I feel I must apologize, because the following list is a bit helter-skelter. It begins with some search engines from a list that was provided to me by the very alternative-search-engine knowledgeable Charles Knight, so that I could include some of the newest and most popular search engines – many of which still seem to be undergoing construction and additions. This is not an alphabetized list, nor even a categorized list, but simply listed in the order that I searched each search engine, directory or whatever. The newest ones are first, some of the middle alternative search engines are in the middle, also thanks to Charles Knight, and then some of the older favorites are last – although you may find this is not entirely a set description either. I hope this list helps anyone looking for stuff they can’t find. Though I had a decent idea of what kind of alternative search engines are out there, I learned some things myself. Have fun looking it all up; some of them really are amazing, and others are just plain cool. I have at least 30 of these saved on my own favorites list, and all of them are worthwhile.
rajiv123

Return to Google