Its not anymore about Optimization, but about Integration.

Moderator: John55

Its not anymore about Optimization, but about Integration.

Postby rajiv123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:25 am

In my opinion (and you are free to disagree) Social Media is not to be optimized for, its to be integrated. Social Media is out there, its huge, and its for everyone. If you are still thinking about not embracing it and worrying about how you can “optimize” your content so that you can plug it into some social bookmarking site and get some attention from the bigger crowd, I’m sorry you’re going to go nowhere with it – unless you take the plunge and integrate social media into your systems, however small they are.

And, I understand that many people still use Social Media Optimization in the broader sense calling anything we do on social media as social media optimization, like we used to call search engine optimization. I don’t call it wrong, but I’d like to clarify that SMO wasn’t about the social media we see today. Please don’t get carried away with the terms and think everything social media as social media optimization – that’s nor entirely right. Its only a part of the bigger social media strategy we have these days. And I have nothing against Rohit, he’s a pioneer in social media, and did a great job with coining the term, but unfortunately many people “perceive” SMO to be everything social, that’s where everything goes wrong in context.

So essentially, the idea is that “optimization” is so yesterday and gone are those days. We have outgrown ourselves, bigger, better and smarter and we have bigger social media platforms today, we are not limited to social bookmarking sites at all. What we need to think of at this point is to try and transform our online entities go social, rather than trying to fix it. Its no more an optimization exercise, but an integration exercise. Social Media Integration is the right word.
rajiv123

Return to SMO and Social Media